The White House has officially followed through on Donald Trump's plan to ban transgendered people from serving in the United States military.
On Friday night when Secretary of Defence Jim Mattis released the memo, he said trans people are "disqualified from military service except under certain limited circumstances," but failed to explain what these exceptions would be. It also notes that he, along with the Secretary of Homeland Security, “may exercise their authority to implement any appropriate policies concerning military service by transgender individuals.”
The oval office has said troops with a history of "gender dysphoria" are risks to the military's effectiveness and lethality. In a series of tweets last year, he claimed the military "cannot be burdened with the tremendous medical costs and disruption" of trans members.
It's currently unclear how many transgender individuals serve in the US military, but it's assumed the number of them who are seeking transition-related healthcare is minuscule compared to other costs.